your weekly digestion of food news to consume....and COOKIE TIME!
It's no secret I'm drawn to bakeries, some more than others. A lot to times it just comes down to convenience. As in, they are close to regular daily routes I take to work or wherever. Some off days though, when I'm out a wandering, I come back across a place I've tried in the past and kind of liked. One of these is Flour & Co. in Nob Hill. I was jonesing for a small bite and a chocolate chip cookie seemed like just the thing. They label it a chocolate chunk cookie and it will run you $2.50. It's decent size and is more thick than wide. This isn't a bad thing. And in this instance it made this cookie about as close as you can get to eating cookie dough. It is a very soft cookie that seems to be more lightly cooked with minimal browning on the outside, but very soft and doughy inside. It really does give the texture of like a slightly warmed cookie dough. Add in the plentiful bits of chocolate and it also comes close to soft cookie brownie territory. Everyone has their cookie likes and dislikes so a dense mushy version like this may not be for some folks. I liked it as it satisfied the craving I was having in the moment. I'm guessing part of the softness here comes from their use of almond flour on the mix. It keeps it from baking too hard and adds a subtle nutty flavor that nice without being over powering. The chocolate still shines through here. If you are fan of soft and gooey or you like cookie dough but aren't in the mood to have it raw, then this cookie is a good middle ground and worth trying.
- Poke, Hawaiian raw fish thingy, is taking over the Bay Area. Great for some, not so much for me.
- Wanna own your own deli? Now's your chance!
- Oh look, just what the Mission needs, a kind of high end Mexican cantina.
- The Perennial really wants to be THE sustainable restaurant in the world. If they continue with those small portions, it's possible, unless a reviewer says it isn't.
- St. Patrick's Day is this week, SFist runs down where to get your Irish food on.
- The original Super Duper Burger is going to expand. Who needs check cashing these days anyway!
- The Organic Coup is coming to the FiDi District. They specialize in A chicken sandwich. No, seriously, just a single fried chicken sandwich. Let's see how this goes.
- Doughnut Dolly is coming to San Francisco so you won't have to go to the East Bay for your doughnut fix. Though you will have to go to the Market at the Twitter building. Trade-offs.
- Here's how Wise Sons creates their new social media hot bagels.
- Are these really the most anticipated spring restaurant openings? You be the judge.
- Sinbad's finally got demolished. Though, I think their food already did that to them.
- The Infatuation says these are the best restaurants to take your parents when they come to visit. Though, I don't think they are aware we spend most of our money on rent and all these places are pricey. Even if the 'rents are paying.
- Oh PG&E, you dastardly folks. How can you keep folks from getting their ice cream fix!
- It's wine! And Indian food! On Divisadero!