I was at the Ferry Building recently trying to quell some hunger pangs. Suddenly I had a taste for some comfort food when I wandered by Golden Gate Meat Co. and saw these pot pies. Yes, that's what I want today. The sign said chicken or beef so I asked the counter clerk which one I should get, he said the chicken was sold out. Well, that made my decision easier, for $7 I got the beef. It's a pretty large and heavy portion so I had no qualms with the cost ratio on this It is served warm and the crust on top is a nice flaky brown and one bite of it reminded me of home made pies instead of those frozen Swanson ones I fondly remember from my childhood. I dug into it and steam rose out..ooo yum! You can see the beef filling below. Cubes of beef, carrot, potato, onion and what looked like bits of barley. I took a big spoonful in my mouth and.....well, it won't good. In fact, it tasted sour, like old juice. I tried picking out individual pieces of what was inside but the flavor had pervaded everything from the gravy on down. Not good, not good in anyway. I didn't even finish it, which for me is saying a lot. I was so totally bummed that I couldn't get my comfort food fix I had to drown my sorrows by eating a cookie. Yeah, I know, sad, but ya' gotta' do what ya' gotta' do sometimes. Oh well, obviously there won't be a next time. I know I could probably go to Safeway and get one, then take it home and heat it up.....ugh I'm already tired. I think the sugar rush from the cookie is wearing off. I'm just gonna go lay down now.
- Three Twins Ice Cream takes on Ben & Jerry's! It's an ice cream throwdown!
- Anna Roth has left the building! Or more specifically SFWeekly.
- It's the Belgian style brasserie the Marina was clamoring for?
- Pal's Takeaway is doing that guest chef thing again. Another reason to charge more for sandwiches
- OH GOD, NO, NO, NO, NO!.
- Snail burger...nuff' said.
- Manresa Bread is now open. Seems to be a big deal. Watch your back Tartine.
- Ever wanted to feed the masses in the Haight? Yeah, me neither, but now someone can.
- "Tenderloin Vietnamese gem"--do those words really go together?
- Upscale candy boutique coming to San Francisco. Union Square and Cow Hollow--of course.
- These are the places Yelp!'s CEO likes to eat. I wonder if he
hassledasked them personally for advertising after giving them 4 star Yelp! reviews.