YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME....AND VEGAN DESSERT! (ugh)
Me and the SO hit SOMA StrEatFood Park on a Sunday recently and to our surprise (dismay?) it was vegan day. Yikes! I nearly turned around to make a beeline for Big Chef Tom's Belly Burgers, which is just a block or so over from there. But, we were meeting friends there, was a little late to change, we felt lazy, we thought WTF let's try, name your reason. We wandered around to see what was on offering. I will review some of the main dishes we had in a few days. For this short review, I'm highlighting one of the desserts we (I) felt like trying. Usually my experience with vegan desserts has been on the blech! side. However, some of the offerings at least looked good enough to try--like the mocha fudge brownie from Well.Fed.Bakes that I came across. Looking at their site, they are more of a catering company and it seems they were getting their began name out at this particular event. Still, the brownie was big and only $3.50. Being dubious and not the biggest fan of mocha, I actually picked this for the SO--a fan of both. Surprisingly enough though, I ended up liking this more than them.
The mocha was in the cream in the middle and it was very light as was the cream. It struck that nice balance of firm and thick enough to taste and still light enough to not be actual icing. The brownie part was very fudge like and didn't taste overly sweet like some vegan desserts can be. (They tend to add more sugar to offset the lack of flour and eggs.) Still, this one had a nice texture and wasn't too fudgy or too cake crumbly. The layer on top was like a dark chocolate bar. And while chocolate isn't necessarily my dessert go to, I still like what they did here giving this heft and moderate sweetness that was pleasing in both taste and texture. I mean really, how often does that happen? At least for my tastebuds. They have an array of vegan sweets they do from cupcakes to cakes to pies and based on this little cream brownie, I'd be willing to give one of their other items a shot if I come across them. Vegan-ness be damned!
- Susan Sarandon is bringing her ping pong bar to SOMA in that funky building on 3rd.
- It's Noe Valley news! Something new is replacing something only a year old?
- This just opened in Bernal Heights--here's you look see.
- Bay Area Bites gets in on restaurant reviews. That cheesy desserts does look yum.
- Well, that didn't take long. Belga now does brunch, of course.
- It's Lower Nob Hill news! It's some Chef Nori Sugie thing.
- Not everyone is down with that new restaurant in the Twitter building.
- Since we can't get enough brunch in San Francisco, Zagat has a round up of 3 Asian inspired ones to try.
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema will finally open in the fall. San Francisco continues to try and be more like Austin.
- Killer Shrimp to open on Broadway--in San Francisco. Name alone makes you wanna know what they are all about.
- I guess going to the East Bay to eat on a patio is probably better than usually fogged in San Francisco. It's just, you know, over there.