YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME....PLUS JUNK FOOD JUNKIE TIME!
It's the return of junk food junkie and yes, I have a pop-tart fixation. It's like a tiny pastry packed with vitamins and stuff! Let's just forget about all the sugar and carbs and stuff. I grew up with these as a child and these plus a Diet Mtn Dew got me through 8am classes in college. Judge all you want, but that's the joy of being young and eating what you want, until the freshman 25 or 30 or so bring you back to reality. But I digress. It seems every time I hit the grocery store, Kellogg's is pumping out a new flavor. Some make sense like cinnamon roll, some don't--hello blue raspberry? But in the spirit of fall and Halloween and Thanksgiving et al, they've brought forth pumpkin pie! And surprise, there is actually pumpkin as an ingredient, not just pumpkin flavor. Granted it's like #20 or so on the list of ingredients, but still, it's there. And also surprisingly, it kind of does taste like pumpkin pie. Whether you heat it up or just eat out of the bag, the taste is pretty consistent. (and yes, I put some butter on it and that worked too) I'm totally giving this thing a thumbs up. Yeah, it's kind of a trashy kids breakfast treat, but, whatevs. If you read me regularly you know I've got the worst sweet tooth and really like some heft to my desserts and in a pinch, this pumpkin pie pop-tart works pretty well. If I'm laying around the house and don't want to make my lazy way to Happy Donuts 2 whole, long blocks away, I'll grab these and eat both in the bag, because seriously people, who just eats one of these and puts the other one back? I mean, why bother? It will just get stale and who likes a stale pop-tart? Just eat them both and we'll all be happier.
- Les Natali, the owner/landlord of many Castro businesses actually reached an agreement to Zapata hang around another year.
- SF Business Times looks at/ranks the most expensive restaurants in San Francisco. How much will we be willing to plunk down for food?
- Some San Francisco bars actually made a world top 50 list it seems. Let the arguments begin!
- Oakland now has their own little extra fancy food marketplace thingy.
- Peet's bought Portland's Stumptown Coffee. Portlandiers will begin to revolt in 3,2,1....
- Some soup thing is opening in the Mission, because that's what they need.
- And not to be outdone, the Sunset gets their own soup hotpot place, so there!
- Pizza Orgasmica goes out with less than a happy ending.
- Fresh off his La Boulange rebirth, Pascal Rigo expands his workload helping out Munchery.
- Chica goes from Off The Grid booth to small take-out window.
- It's chef shuffle time again! Actually, it seems to be a weekly occurrence these days.
- It's Spaghetti Bros., what a seemingly random and odd yet apropos name for a new spot in the Marina.
- Asha Tea House tries to replicate their success in Berkeley with a new spot in SF's Financial District. Good luck with that.