YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME....CINNAMON ROLL EDITION
Cinnamon rolls, yes, they are a favorite of mine, and while I normally prefer some kind of cream cheese icing on them, I was still drawn to this particular one from Acme Bread to give it a try. The thing about Acme is they make batches a few times a day on some items, others get made in the morning and sit in the case until bought. Things like this always pose a problem for me as you never really know just how long something has been sitting there, thus when you get it, I kind of have to base my opinions on what I'm tasting in the moment. For the size and at just over $3, it is a relative bargain for something in the Ferry Building. And in the grand scheme of cinnamon rolls, it's decent enough that I didn't hate it. But, I also wasn't wowed by it either. The bread here is in the flaky vein of a croissant, though having probably sat out for awhile, parts were on the hard side of things. While you can taste the cinnamon, it probably could have benefited from a bit more to ramp up flavor. Of course, for me, this is also where some sort of cream cheese topping could have come in to help cover up any short comings in the roll as a whole. I'm sure when it's warm and fresh out of the oven, it would be soft and cinnamon croissant like. Plus the smell of a fresh baked roll would only enhance the taste senses. While I wouldn't personally get one of these again, I won't say don't try it. This falls into the category of baked morning buns that are best served with coffee as a compliment as opposed to something you get to fulfill a sweet dessert craving you may have. But I'm not dismayed as I will continue my quest to try as many cinnamon rolls as I can to find the best ones, because that's the kind of person I am. I eat the sweets so you don't have to. Your welcome.
- Michael Mina is expanding in SOMA...but it's a secret...sshhh.
- It's Ethiopian food! Though looks like you'll need to cross the bridge for it.
- It's 12 Nights of Chocolate, you know, if you are into that kind of thing.
- It's olive festival time? Who knew!
- The ever changing face of Dogpatch and Bayview--the sort of new foodie start-up hoods
- From one sushi place to another--how much of a difference is there?
- Sneaky BBQ's chef gets a new home at Southpaw, and he's melding his dishes with theirs
- Time to carbo-load in the Marina. Will those yoga panted folks go for that?
- SFWeekly checks in on Cowgirl Creamery and the state of fancy cheese in SF.
- Sous vide for the masses! It's like crockpotting with boiling water!
- Did everyone catch these new restaurant openings in October?
- Because it is hard to pick just the right bar in the Mission, The Infatuation runs them down for you!