YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME...AND A PUMPKIN PASTRY THINGY
That's right, you know I couldn't go to Trader Joe's and not get the pumpkin "toaster pastries". Yeah they can't call them pop-tarts because Kellogg's has that all copyrighted up. Ms. O said I should try them after featuring the pumpkin pie Kellogg's version, she really likes them. I did almost put them back when I saw the word organic on them. I mean, seriously, does one really need an organic pastry? Let's don't kid ourselves, you are basically eating a dessert and saying organic is just fooling yourself that you are eating something healthy. For this review I'm going to work off a comparison of the K tarts. While these may have that USDA tag on them, they actually have more sugar than the pop-tarts--about 2 grams more--though it doesn't taste sweeter. They are smaller too. The frosting on top is kind of sparse and the pastry part is also a light brown, like there is some wheat flour in it or something. There is also a little less filling in these. The pumpkin flavor is also not as prominent as regular tarts. They do give off a nice smell when toasted. The pastry doesn't have that shortbread type flavor that K pops have, it's more like plain pie crust. Overall, they were okay enough, but even with a slab of butter on them, I still prefer the original as opposed to these. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm just a pop-tart traditionalist, even when they do their wacky flavor combos. Ultimately I'd recommend just taking a pass on these, unless of course you are a Trader Joe's fanatic and want something "organic" to make you feel better about your breakfast choices. For me, I stopped fooling myself ages ago.
- Danny Bowien came to town and totally revamped Mission Chinese's menu.
- Local chefs offer up their own stuffing recipes because you may be stuck what to do.
- Yeah, another place to get fancy pizza in San Francisco.
- Another one bites the dust blaming rent hikes, cost of San Francisco, etc.
- Here's a list of places to volunteer and donate in the Bay Area to give you the feelies.
- Get to know the restaurants at the recently opened SFO Terminal 3.
- So long Jay's Cheesesteak hello Namu Claypot!
- Haunted? No. Cursed? Possibly, but another restaurant is giving this space a try
- And look, still another new place to get pizza in San Francisco!
- Hmmm....seems Chipotle has a new off menu item that isn't going over so well.
- The high costs of opening a San Francisco restaurant. Way to make it easy for local business' SF!