YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME.....AND BUNDT CAKE!
I hadn't been by Neighbor Bakehouse in awhile and since it's the holidays I'd though I would run in and see if they have anything new and sweet I could scarf down. And lo and behold, but what to my wondering eyes would appear but brown sugar cinnamon bundt cake. I'm always on the edge with bundts as they run the gamut from good to not so much. Plus they don't usually come with icing, which in my world, can cover up a lot of sins and things that can go wrong when making this kind of cake. Here we basically have a pound cake with a swirl of cinnamon and brown sugar and a dusting of powdered sugar on top for $3.50 a slice. It's a decent sized slice, close to Texas toast size and thickness, comparable to ones you'd get at say Peet's or Starbucks or most any coffee shop in town. I was a little worried it might be dry but it felt heavy in my hand and that translated into a very moist piece of cake--yeah! The swirls added light touches of holiday flavor without being overly sweet. There is a nice crust on the outside which is both crunchy, cakey, almost like a brown sugar crumble. Like a good pound cake it also had a nice butteriness much like you'd get in a croissant. And while I am a fan of icing on cake, here I don't think it was needed and probably wouldn't have added much to it either. This was like a dense, moist, crumbly, touch of sweet coffee cake bundt that works just as well as a morning, late afternoon or after dinner treat. I'm pretty too, if you needed a whole one to spruce up a holiday party, you could probably talk them into selling you, though be prepared to pay a little extra and accept the fact you won't have any leftovers to take home for later.
- No Christmas Eve plans yet? Then go out to eat at these pricey options.
- Alamo Draft House and their bar have finally opened in the Mission. Check out all the photos and have a gander at their food and booze menus.
- Tablehopper gets a first look at the food offerings at the new brasserie Volta.
- The Infatuation thinks these are the best food Instagrammers, but since I'm not on this list I can't speak for its veracity.You can follow me here and see for yourself!
- It's out with Kara's Cupcakes (they are so 3 years ago!) and in with Le Marais Bakery in the tourist friendly spot at Ghirardelli Square.
- And not to be outdone, Fisherman's Wharf is getting a new family run ice cream shop. The tourists get all the best stuff! :)
- Is this proof that hipsters will fall for anything or is just a case of excellent marketing? You be the judge since I'm not really all that into chocolate.
- Bacon Bacon continues their expansion expansion as they scoop up a small spot in SOMA a block from AT&T Park. Just what baseball fans need with their beer--MORE BACON!
- VeganBurg is now open in the Haight, naturally. Though seems they are catering to vegans who have money cuz' these burgs don't come that cheap.
- This place is now open in Hayes Valley from some former Ad Hoc chefs. They are still just rolling out dinner for now but look for lunch and brunch stuff soon, because they all do eventually.
- Whole Foods looks to roll out one of its new concept stores in SF. They say it will be cheaper and quicker. We'll reserve judgement for now.
- Looks like Mr. Jiu's has met their kickstart goals and will finally be opening a full time brick and mortar location in Chinatown.
- And what would a food wrap up be without some Star Wars news! Celebrate it with a SOLID dark chocolate Millennium Falcon from Kollar Chocolates in Yountville.
- If you thought about hitting up Harvey's in "the heart of the Castro" better make other plans as they are closing for a (much needed?) make over and hope to reopen in a week or so. And speaking of breaks.....
....as a retail worker, this is what we call "hell week", so if you know of any other jobs out there with some regular M-F hours and no holidays--PLEASE drop me a line! It also means this is my last post before a little holiday break to get through this next week. So from me to you and all your friends have a happy holiday, merry Christmas and what not. I leave you with one of my all time favorite xmas tunes and I'll see you on the other side!