YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME...FIRST OF THE YEAR!! and a day or so late
Why not kick of the weekly food digest with a little brunch on the go. Here we have a new offering from a fave local bakery, Neighbor Bakehouse. This is their version of a croque madame, except it is more of a hand held, open faced sandwich. You've got a whole grain thick slice of toast topped with green onion, cheese, bacon, egg and some kind of cream béchamel like sauce. It's part of their ever expanding offerings and outside of a being a little too toasted along the edges of the bread (meaning tad burnt black), the basics here are good. You can taste the egg, cheese, bacon and onion flavors quite clearly. I do think the onion could be reduced some as the the long green tops did get a little chewy. The egg isn't all runny like you'd normally get, but it is right at the edge of almost being like that (see below pick). Here it works since this is an item for takeaway and not sit dine in. Toppings are also piled high and hearty and if this is all you are having for breakfast it will fill you up. Considering it is pretty huge for only $4.50, it is a relative bargain bite for San Francisco. While the one I got was still warm, I'll say if you just happen to get them fresh out of the oven, they are probably even better. Kudos to Greg and the gang for the new offering. I saw they also have some savory bread pudding thing they are serving hot out of a crock pot, hmmm...interesting, though I'll need to wait till next time to try.
- Tablehopper hates these things for 2016. Probably the first time she's actually talked bad about anything since last years list of dislikes.
- Seriously? A showroom for food? You have got to be kidding me. This is the food scene gone to far. We aren't New York people.
- This place is closing even though they said business was good so the owners could travel the world for a year. And refresh for something new. After only five months. Must be nice to follow your every whim.
- It's San Francisco's most expensive pizza. Yeah, no thanks, I'm happy with the by the slice cheap stuff.
- The Fancy Food Show is rolling in to town January 17th. Time to get your tix and get in line for all the free samples.
- A new bbq joint is opening in town but I'm gonna hold my jumps for joy till I can try them out. I've been burned before.
- SF's only Colombian food restaurant is calling it quits. Wait, there is only one in town?
- Your almost like a New York bagel fix from Wise Son's will have to wait just a bit more.
- The Westfield says goodbye to another of its original food purveyors under the dome.
- It's not all closure news as this interesting looking place has just soft opened. Hmmm, that look kind of reminds me of whale bones. Is that what they were going for?
- Yeah! Another bakeshop opens up in San Francisco! I'm all about the baked goods and you can never have too many choices!
- Look---it's Chipotle for Mediterranean food.
- After a successful Kickstarter to raise funds for LocoL the chefs have switched gears and decided not to open it in San Francisco, but have announced a spot in Oakland to do it. Kind of glad now I missed the chance to donate. Having to go to Oakland from SF to get my rewards would be a bummer and not really worth the discount you would have gotten. You'd end up using it all on BART or something just to get there.