YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME....AND SOME MR. HOLMES BAKEHOUSE
Since I've been unable to drag myself out of bed at an ungodly early hour to hit up Mr. Holmes Bakehouse to get the hot selling treats, I end up with whatever is left when I just happen to wander by, remembering, oh yeah, this place is here. Mostly because I don't really wander through the Tenderloin and those who do are probably looking for trouble. Still, even though pickings are slim, I did run across this thing they were calling a bacon cheese danish. It's a savory and yet they call it a danish. Obviously I can't pass up something that has two of my favorite foods--bacon and cheese. Even though it was late afternoon and this had been sitting out awhile and was room temp, I still liked it a lot. It was all buttery layers of flakey croissant like pastry with ample chunks of bacon and what I'm pretty sure was Parmesan cheese. This gave some tasty bite to it. Added bonus on this is a secret inside layer of bechamel sauce. It was like a surprise creamy flavor when you bite into the danish. All this really needed was an egg and you'd have a hand eaten version of a croque madame or something. While they do run roughly $4.50 a pop, it is on the larger size of some you get in this city. If they weren't so hard to get to for me, I could see this as an every morning treat. I'm sure it is even better warm and fresh out of the oven. Between this and the chocolate chip cookie I had here some time back, I need to just bite the bullet and force myself to get up early one weekday morning (forget weekends people) and MUNI (ugh!) my way over there. If they two treats I've had so far from them are any indication, then all the effort and praise they've earned so far are warranted. Plus, I really need to try that cruffin thing before it becomes too passe. Don't wanna be behind on my Instagram-able food trends now do I. I will skip the ubiquitous shot of their neon sign however. Also note, flavors can change daily here, yet another reason to have to get up early and go.
- Some chef dude at Absinthe won Food Network's Chopped. Let's hope no Rocky Mountain oysters with bubble gum cotton candy glaze show up on their menu.
- Another day another closure as Ame in SOMA calls it a day. Look for a pop-up to take its place.
- These are the 5 hot specialty food trends noticed at last weeks Fancy Food Show.
- And Inside Scoop runs down most all the food shown from the good to the ridiculous.
- Ramen--it's the new old thing for 2016 as many spots have appeared recently. Here's a rundown of some of the best.
- And The Infatuation thinks this ramen spot is da' bomb people!
- Oh, look at that, Nojo has rebranded themselves at Nojo Ramen Tavern. See, it is all the rage. Or foist upon us. Take your pick.
- Well, that's one way to do it as Embarcadero restaurant disappears in the night and skips out on $9k in rent. Maybe that space can reopen as a ramen spot now!
- Just to show it's not all ramen these days, here's a set of four new ones to try.
- Food continues to go future tech as SFGate takes a look at the process from lab to plate.So long as it isn't "Soylent Green"--there's an throw back reference for ya'!
- That Three Twins Ice Cream founder is gonna be on Survivor. Still probably won't watch it.
- TBD post fire is relaunching as Fenix (get it? rising from the flames?) which will be a "full service Mexican restaurant". Ugh, like we need more expensive Mexican food in this town.
- Beer Week has started so you can learn to appreciate the good stuff before having to drink that other crap at upcoming Super Bowl parties.