Food news nosh and a real meat throw back
Time for a little trip down food memory lane as I found myself scrolling through my old pics and came across this winner. This was several years before I started food blogging and social media-ing in excess. Me and the SO were in Budapest (yes Hungary) and as usual I couldn't make up my mind what I was in the mood for as we wandered up and down one of the main drags where many restaurants were located. I just kept looking at menus and was like, eh, maybe. Eventually when this happens, the SO reaches a "JUST PICK ONE!" point and sometimes, we will end up right back at the first spot we came across. Yeah, I know, but I like to see what my options are. We sat outside on the side and order up something simple called the meat grill. The above is what came. A giant platter of grilled chicken, steak, sausages, pork and an assortment of fried and grilled veggies. While I can't quite remember what it cost, I do remember we loved every bite we could get down. There was more meat under that meat and we stuffed ourselves silly. Add in a the bottle of wine and it was quite the memorable meal in a foreign country. They haven't all been winners, but this one certainly was. Now let's see what is going on around here.
- A racist cafe in Berkeley? Unheard of! And now closed apparently.
- German food spot Schmidt's is closing citing rising rent (as usual) as the reason. Don't fret though, Walzwerk is still going strong.
- Sorrel finally goes from pop-up to full time restaurant in Presidio Heights.
- Seems Boogaloo's has finally reopened. Hopefully they are better than they used to be. I just never got this place.
- Seems upscaled mac and cheese is still on the upswing as Mac'd looks to expand.
- Should California wineries worry about a Chinese trade war? Let's ask NPR!
- Seems Che Fico is winning local and international fans since it recently opened. Anderson Cooper who?
- Necco Wafers were never good people. They are the worst and I hated seeing them in Halloween candy. Just let them go.
- PizzaHacker is now doing bagels because....why not?
- A North Beach pop-up aims to keep "Doors Open" and help those businesses displaced by that recent fire.
- Upscale Mexican food in the Tendernob, because that is what the neighborhood needs.
- Sliced ketchup? How's that gonna work on tater tots?
- Farmhouse Kitchen makes the expansion move....to Oakland.
- Seems White Castle, that bastion of late night munchies and grease is getting in on the impossible slider. At least it will be cheaper than Umami Burgers. When do we get our own White Castle here?