Food news and nosh meets cookie time
Seems while I was at that Philz Coffee looking for lunch I spied they had baked goods which means I made my way back there to snack on a chocolate chip cookie. At $3.25, seemed a bit pricey for the size and only slightly less than that breakfast sandwich. One good thing I can say about it is it was full of chocolate chips. But it also seemed to be full of something else that was kind of crunchy. I would have thought it was some kind of nut, but I didn't ask for the nut one and the crunch was more like toffee or something. Made it all a little weird. It was kind of soft inside too. I didn't hate, but didn't love it either. Not sure I'd get it again, even though it is about the only place nearby (meaning get to quickly and back to work) to get a cookie. Bummer, well, for me and my sweet tooth anyway. Guess I'll just have to make a stop off somewhere downtown as a side trip before I head to work. While I can't get decent enough cookie nearby, I can serve up some food news!
- Get to know your local egg producers and just what A and AA means. Cause one doesn't look all that bigger than the other.
- Traci Des Jardins has a new bar opening to add to her restaurant empire. This ones only two days a week and seems to be the new way to do the bar thing?
- Nigella Lawson was in town to empower home cooks. And cook Turkish eggs or something.
- Coi has a new chef and someone seems to like it.
- Seems to be all about Dominque Crenn's new spot Bar Crenn and the consensus seems to be...something you can just check out here, here and here. Ugh, exhausted by it all now.
- Turns out Clusterfest will also be about some food, just like all the other festivals in this town. Because eating while laughing definitely won't lead to choking.
- Lobster shortage! Lobster shortage! Wait, we have crab here so who cares!
- Speaking of meat shortage, Beyond Meat is now available at Whole Foods. Guess if you are going to spend lots of money on plant based meat--its at Whole Foods (paycheck).
- Yeah, I watch the Anthony Bourdain show on CNN because travel and eating is something I aspire too. Here's how he decides which place he will grace with his grizzled appetite.
- Berkeley wants to ban all single use plastic ware because.....Berkeley.
- Evidently Cinco de Mayo is coming up quickly so Saveur has you covered in the what to serve department.
- Or you can just skip all that work and just hit up the San Francisco Cinco de Mayo fest instead.
- A cannabis chef provides low dose food and education. Sounds like fun! Or maybe it just seems like it was fun? But can it make that cookie taste better!