weekly food news nosh and notes....and pumpkin week!!
I thought I'd make a pie in the laziest no bake way possible. Though I did go all in and make a low carb crust with almond flour. The crust came out okay, though I used salted butter which was a salty bad idea. The filling, a mix of spices, pumpkin, cream cheese and whipped cream came out with some lovely light and fluffy height. See, in the pic it sliced up well and looked good. Sadly, in an attempt to stay low sugar and carb--I didn't put near enough sweetener in it. All little things I'll remember if I ever try to do this again. Of course, even with its issues, me and the SO manage to finish it off because it wasn't inedible! Just sprinkle another packet of sweetener on each slice and voila--dessert. The crust was still too salty so couldn't do much about that. All in all, it wasn't 100% sucky and it got eaten. For a first try, I'll take it and next time, I'll just buy it. Even lazier!! Stayed tuned though, it is November and time for more pumpkin stuff!
- It's cheese and tea? I like them separately but not sure I wanna try them together. Though if Tony's Pizza is involved......
- And speaking of pizza, as if pineapple weren't enough of an aberration as a topping then strawberries are just NO, NO, NO and more.
- Look's Oprah is fan of some food from the Bay Area. Guess if you haven't tried it by now you are s**t out of luck as they say.
- It used to be a McDonald's, now it is the place to feed whatever diet you are on. Truly for the Silicon Valley millennial in you.
- SOMA StrEat Food Park is having a Disco Donut Party today! Break out the bellbottoms and chow down on all the sprinkles.
- Well, it is November so I guess it is time to plan your Thanksgiving feast or at least reserve your orders now.
- Not really direct food news, but SFist did cover some of the foodie scene in town. Seems the left leaning web company got bought by a right leaning billionaire who suddenly shut it down. Sad.
- The wine sold at The Grocery Outlet in Portola Valley has it's own blog. No, I'm not kidding.
- Urban Fish, formerly Weird Fish, now becoming Tawara--a Japanese sake dining spot. Because that is what The Mission needs.
- Seems Petite Marlowe is taking the whole French theme a little far with some rude service. What's next, smoking?
- That new rooftop bar Charmaine's is now officially open. Great! Just in time for rain and cold temp season!