it's food news nosh and notes...yes, the holidays have started
There is no longer a way to deny the holidays have begun. I got my first inkling when it was barely November, I was in Banana Republic and every other song they played was a Christmas tune. Then it really hit me when I went to Trader Joe's and there they were--their white icing frosted gingerbread men. Those smiling little devils that tempt and taunt my stomach and waistline throughout the holidays. I didn't think I would see them quite so early, but there they were, sitting on the shelf in their green and white box just calling to me: "buy me! eat me! get fat!" And before I knew it, I had grabbed two boxes, paid and was out the store. Those little bas***ds!! I gave in and gave up to the inevitable. The holidays are here, I will eat my way through several of these boxes* and whatever will be, will be. Break out the stretchy pants and start going through the xmas decorations. You can't resist the pull that it is "beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go!" (*Update: one box almost gone as of this posting. Glad I did get two!)
- Preeti Mistry releases her memoir/cookbook for Juhu Beach Club. The restaurant is closing soon-isn but the recipes live on!
- And here are some more "essential" SF cookbooks you can check out for gifting.
- Oh look, hipster bros have a new hangout bar in Pac Heights. You can never have enough places to get "craft cocktails" now can you.
- The 12 days of Christmas at Meadowood is back on here's the chef line-up.
- These are Whole Foods ideas for the hot food trends in 2018. Either that or they are trying to make it happen by stocking their shelves full of the stuff.
- So I covered Halo Top recently and turns out they are really becoming a thing. They are opening a stand alone ice cream shop in LA. How long before it hits SF?
- Seed + Salt in the Marina is closing because it has become too popular? Seems fishy, sorry, vegan fish-like.
- But like most restaurant spaces in this town it won't be empty for long as a "fast-casual" Indian spot will move right in. See? Seems a little tandoori fishy.
- Salted Caramel Thanksgiving Turkey and Buttered Mashed Potatoes & Gravy---ICE CREAM. Yes, real things. I got some of their 5 different Thanksgiving flavors and you can check next week for a review. They are also yours to try at Salt & Straw.
- Gggreeattt....two new brunches to try because San Francisco.
- These "rumors" are actually true and Pizza Napoletana is moving to NY and closing their SF location. Better get by before the end.
- Oh Reddit! They find a way to make anything a discussion including the new $29 brioche loaf in town. Though, SFGate says there is a good reason for the price.
- And finally, recovery from the North Bay fires continues for many restaurants, so keep up the support!