your weekly sf food nosh and news
The SO and I are out for a lovely warm day walk in downtown SF on a Sunday after a movie and think, what a great day to eat outside. What comes to mind is Belden Place, this towns version of a European street of food. We make the jaunt over there and what do you know, only one of the spots is even open?! I guess that made the decision easier, though not necessarily better. It's Cafe Bastille which is just okay-ish, but we came this far, so we eat. I got the mushroom crepe for $14. A buckwheat crepe filled with mushrooms, goat cheese and spinach, supposedly. Seems the goat cheese was just on top, I couldn't find any spinach inside and while there were mushrooms, it seemed like the filling was more thick mushroom soup than actual 'shrooms or something. Well, it took a pretty picture at least. Plus, they also refilled my tea glass twice and brought extra butter for the free baguettes you get when you sit. Not a total loss. I'll hang on to that while you check out this weeks food happenings.
- RN74 is calling it quits and having a wine blow out sale while they do.
- And in case you are wondering, the spot is being taken over by International Smoke, a restaurant by the now increasingly everywhere Ayesha Curry.
- Seems Saison is being protective of their restaurants processes. Can you patent a restaurants "trade secrets"?
- Roy Choi gives an in depth interview and talks the "slow growth" of Loco'l in Oakland.
- KQED gets an inside look at the new super upscale spot in Chinatown called Eight Tables.
- I don't like avocados so I will say the answer to this is hell yes!!
- Seems not everyone is screaming for the new Ice Cream Museum.
- Wine is first at this new Marina spot, kind of like eating your dessert before dinner. I'm okay with that.
- A new bakery has finally opened in SoMa as Les Gourmands makes a play for your carbs. I'll make it by soon to judge them for myself of course.
- After a year break, La Cocina's Street Food Festival is back in a more scaled down way. I'd get my tickets now if I were you.
- Beer in your backyard? Now that's a hyper local microbrew for you!
- An look inside the new Salzburg in North Beach. Hmmm, doesn't sound very Italian.
- Chicago style tacos in Nob Hill? Yikes, what is going on with food in SF these days. They do offer vegan choices, so that is so very SF.
- Woohoo! Donut stops and a beer garden! Just gotta get past that pesky run part.
- Finally, this opened in the Mission, because San Francisco.