Food news, nosh and another bakery!!
Jane has been around awhile and is quite popular. So much, they opened a specific bakery spot on Geary called Jane The Bakery, to compliment their other two locations and centralize the baked goods production. I finally had some time to get over there and try them out, thus for the next few weeks I will be regaling you with some of their sweet and savory baked things I tried on multiple visits. You can't just do a bakery once you know. Up first is the spicy sausage provolone croissant. The whole idea of sausage and cheese in some buttery bread sounded quite appealing. And for $5, the croissant looked rather large and left me to expect semi ample fillings of meat and cheese. Sadly, that was not to be the case as you can see in the above pic. While the croissant it self was all flaky, buttery layers, the filling was on the slim side. It was like a tiny Vienna sausage cut in half tucked inside and if there was provolone in there I either missed it or it was such a small portion, it melted away during the baking process. The best I can say is, the sausage was spicy, otherwise I'm gonna say this was a bit of false advertising. Maybe if the description had said notes or hints of sausage and provolone then fine, as is, they need to bulk it up a bit if they are gonna charge a five spot for it. Had I known, I would have stuck with the regular croissant (same one without the filling) for $3.50. But hey, here is some food news to fill you up instead.
- Seems the new owners of Sweet Inspirations just couldn't make it work and the place will close after all this time. Sad really and in honor of them, look out for a column this week on my many trips there including recently to try out their new burgers.
- Mister Jiu's is teaming with Caviar to bring you a "virtual pop-up." Whatever that means.
- A case against tipping in America.
- Well FOB Kitchen's pop-up locale went poof and Juhu Beach Club closed theirs. Seems one has taken over the other.
- Ever wonder what a Krusty Burger tasted like? Now you can find out at Cafe du Nord's Simpsons Trivia Night. Probably a Flaming Moe or two will appear also.
- Here is this weeks continually updating list of closures in the Bay Area.
- CafeX is trying to impart more personality into its robot barista. Can robots do snark?
- Super sad to me at least, Bayou, the Creole restaurant in the mission that opened not too long ago is closing.
- As per usual here in SF, the space won't be empty long as Frjtz, the Belgian fries place on Valencia that previously closed is taking over their spot.
- 7x7 says wine bars are the hot new brunch spots. I'm not ready to buy that yet.
- It is barbecue revival time in Oakland apparently.
- Another small batch food maker in the Bay Area has sold out. This time TCHO chocolates was snapped up by the Japanese maker of Pocky?!!
- Who says there are no original ideas in Hollywood anymore? Well, I do, but is this really the way to go?
- Ever dipped Girl Scout Cookies in your coffee? Now you don't have to as Dunkin' Donuts is taking it to the next level. And in case you are wondering, the closest Dunkin' to SF is off 101 in South San Francisco.