Pumpkin chocolate chip and some food news
You didn't think that cookie was the only baked good I was gonna try from Philz did you? If so, then you obviously haven't been reading my blog long. If a convenient spot is gonna offer up a variety of sweet baked treats, I'm probably gonna try as many as I can. Unless they have like coconut or something then I'll pass. Which brings me to this pumpkin chocolate chip cake thing. See kids, pumpkin isn't just for fall, you can make stuff with it all year long! You can also add in some chocolate to appeal to a wider audience. Sprinkle on a little sugar and voila! A treat for everyone! Well, not exactly, but I am a pumpkin dessert fan and in comparison to the cookie, this was better at least. Even though it had probably been sitting out since morning, it was still moist-like and the dark chocolate chips give it a nice little edge. Even with the sugar on top it isn't super sweet and I was okay with that. It was also quite thick, something I'll attribute to this being a coffee shop and them wanting to get you to grab a beverage also. Much like that dry breakfast sandwich I had. Still, I like it enough I could see trying one again if I'm in a sugar bind and need a late afternoon pick me up. Though next time I will heat it up a bit in the microwave and then smear on some butter to see what that does. Everything is better with butter after all right? Till such time, here is some food news to tide you over and start your week.
- Wanna relive some swinging 60's times? Then Beehive, a new Mission bar has your bouffant-a-palooza.
- Seems someone stole a chicken planter from RT Rotisserie and they want it back! Funny, somehow I ended up on an email list from Rich Table/RT Rotisserie and they didn't mention a word about it. Though they did say you can now check out Rich Tables new chef menu.
- In closing news, Pizza Orgasmica's last location closed without warning. Stoned pizza fans were mildly upset, though it was hard to tell.
- Looks like the cost of salmon is also going up. Good thing I dislike salmon or I might have been dismayed by this. (psst--this means some of your sushi will also cost more)
- An SF chef goes bigger time in....Bangkok?
- Look! It's another Mexican spot opening, this time in the Castro. It is inspired by Puerto Vallarta so expect lots or overpriced food aimed at tourists and possibly a cruise ship theme. But hey, the Mission is a long walk from the Castro.
- Here's this months must eat food item. Though you have to go to a bakery in Oakland to get it. I'm still weighing the pros and mostly cons.
- Hamburger Mary's is finally open in the Castro and seems to be drawing some crowds. But not everyone is totally on board with the food.
- Rooftop bars in town are becoming the new thing. Shocking considering the weather. But 25 Lusk has gone full steam ahead with theirs which is now open and called Rooftop 25 'natch.
- Nooooo! Say it ain't so IKEA! Then again, who really cares?
- Because I know many of you out there are super into them, Trader Joe's has a podcast you can check out. Your welcome.
- Finally, looks like Yerba Buena Lane is getting a new sandwich spot specializing in pork! Fingers crossed they aren't like $10 or more.