Food news and nosh...ringing in the new year! Are you over it yet?
I featured this on my Instagram and Facebook over the holidays (which you should ALL FOLLOW! PLEASE!). It is the bulgogi breakfast bun from Bun Mee's new location in the terminal 3 at SFO. As a breakfast sandwich it is full of meat and egg, two things you really need to get going in the morning, especially on a long flight. This one was layered with spicy bulgogi beef, an over easy fried egg, kimchi, cucumber, carrots and pickled daikon radish--much like a banh mi sandwich. I did like the spice kick to wake me up in the morning though, as you can see, it is super messy so I would recommend eating it before you get on a plane. Plus, the aroma of it, while generally pleasant, may not be to everyones liking on a closed in plane cabin. It is definitely an interesting take on your everyday breakfast sandwich. Not sure if they are selling this at their three locations in town yet as I don't see it on their online menu, so for now, it is SFO specific. It is available all day too. My only quibble would be it is the same price as their bacon and egg breakfast version of a traditional banh mi which is both larger and has more fillings. Value you wise it slips a little, as do most things at an airport. But if you want something different I think either one of them is worth a try if you are flying out. Now, on to the news!
- Nothing like starting off your new year with more of the same sexual harassment from last year. This time hipster coffee spot Four Barrel and its founder are taking heat. Fortunately, there are many other spots in this town you can support instead.
- But it isn't just coffee, another local chef has also been hit and he is owning up to it.
- And seems the James Beard Foundation wants voters to consider a chef's behavior when making nominations.
- Though looks like past allegations aren't slowing down one Bay Area chef.
- In case you made some "resolution" to "eat healthy" or something this year, here's a guide to healthy soups and salads in the area.
- There is a new cooking school in town, this time in The Mission, as The Civic Kitchen opens to teach you how to do what the professionals do.
- Here is an update on what is happening with some of the fire damaged vineyards.
- Ugh!! Double ugh!! This is why people roll their eyes and can't stand Silicon Valley. Seriously? Why is raw water even a thing?
- Restaurant closings and rising rents are a thing in Oakland East Bay too.
- Okay, here's something to lift your spirits. Wanna take your kid to a real tea party? San Francisco Magazine has got you covered.
- Here are some of the most anticipated restaurant openings for 2018. Best to make your list early so you can actually get a reservation.
- In case you haven't heard, pot is now legal in California. Of course, it didn't take long to combine it with the foodie movement either. You can sign up here to check out the Cannaisseur Series. Yes, a real thing and I'm sure just the beginning for pot infused pop-ups.
- Tartine is continuing its global takeover as it opens in Seoul, South Korea. Just in time for the Winter Olympics.
That's it for now, stay tuned this week as I actually hit up one of those new, now, next spots not too long after they opened. So not me but I'm stepping out of my zone just for you!