weekly food news nosh and notes....hello holidays!!
Yes, it is December and the "real" holidays are upon us. With all the decorations, lights and music comes a plethora of pop-ups around town to check out and support local vendors. I swung by one such event last weekend at Pier 35 put on by Etsy. I was hoping for more food thingys but there were more food trucks than vendors which was a bummer. But there was this one little table called Chunky Pig I was drawn to for the obvious bacon reasons. Her big things was caramel popcorn cooked in bacon fat. Interesting for sure, but I was more drawn to the candied bacon caramel corn covered in dark chocolate. At $8 a seven ounce square it seemed a little pricey, but I was game to try it.
A 70% dark chocolate which is smooth without being chalky and usually it is as dark as most people can handle. There are nice chunks of the caramel popcorn throughout and you do get those notes, but I have to say, I missed out on the bacon and felt she could have ramped that up more than is evident here. You do get some small notes of it along with things like maple syrup, brown sugar and a hint of cayenne pepper. Nice enough but I think doubling down on bacon bits and flavor would add so much to the bar. I mean if you are going to list it on the label you should be able to really taste it in the mix. Still, if you like caramel popcorn chocolate, it's worth a taste.
- Can't think of what to bring to your next holiday get together, I suggest empanadas. Everybody loves the hand held bites and if they don't, well they can go Scrooge themselves. Here's a list of some Bay Area faves.
- First there was Brewcade, then there was Coin-Op and now Divisadero has the newly opened Emporium. Arcades and booze are the new hipster millennial thing apparently.
- But I guess they need a new hangout since Eastside West in the Marina has now closed.
- And apparently the Carl's Jr. at UN Plaza has also up and closed. Good riddance I say! Now if we can just get rid of that Burger King next to the public library.
- It's not too early to think about beer week in February of 2018!! Get your tickets now as this does actually sell out.
- Hampton Creek, the vegan mayo "start-up" that has gone through some issues, is now working on an eggless egg substitute. Hopefully they won't falsify any studies or marketing on this one. Just saying.
- It's holiday cocktail time in Tablehopper's world.
- Speaking of that, cocktail bar PCH has decked out their space for the holidays and with special drinks to match. EaterSF is calling it "aggressive" I'm gonna call it joyous. You decide.
- Some of these have already happened but here's a mostly upcoming pop-up market guide for SF.
- And still more happening out Sunset neighborhood way including the Mercantile one which quite big last year.
- Need to bring wine to your next festive event? Then InsideScoop is here to help with a ranking of the best box wines! Wait, boxed wine?
- The real Tenderloin around 6th street is still changing with the addition of Pentacle Coffee. Plus, a couple doors down is a fave bakery of mine called Frena. I do suggest daylight only visits to the hood for now.
- Finally, 7x7 says these are THE spots to celebrate a holiday high tea in town, though I'm thinking if you haven't made your reservation at one of them yet, you are gonna have to know someone to get in.