food news nosh and notes and yes, it's still the holidays!!
Sometimes running around for the holidays to get stuff done includes a trip to that warehouse of choice for many called Costco. Most all of us have been there at one time or another whether with our own cards or riding the back of someone else's because we really, really wanted to get that 5lb bag of bacon bits, the 40 roll pack of TP or more likely, one of those delicious $4.99 rotisserie roast chickens. Once the smell wafts through your nostrils you are hooked and can't resist. But these days we are all on the run and who really have times to sit down and eat some roast chicken! Thus we hit up Costco's "food court" for something handheld and quick like their famous(?) chicken bake. You know the one, the cheese bread like pizza dough wrapped around bits of bacon, chicken and some kind of possibly cheesy cream sauce thing. They are as big as your forearm but will only set you back $2.99. You get one that is crispy on the outside and hot and piping on the inside. Sometimes they come off a bit dry to me and I feel like they need either more sauce inside or a dipping sauce. They are kind of popular with folks though I think that has more to do with bacon and it being a decent alternative to either their hotdogs or slice of pizza. None of which are exactly the healthiest of things to eat. But hey, it's the holidays, we aren't expected to be all healthy obsessed when you've got places to go and things to do. Costco knows this and thus appeals to our baser grab and go instincts with a just right price and I've succumbed on occasion just like everyone else. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some bacon bits to find so here's your food news.
- Hey! It's San Francisco's most Instagrammed restaurants! And I'm just as guilty from some of these spots as everyone else. Gotta find some new places.
- It's Christmas cookie time with some shortbread and those pecan ones from your mother's 70's holiday party.
- Or maybe you are into mince pies, for whatever reason. Here's a bit on their twisted history.
- So you've got to go to see The Nutcracker or Christmas symphony thingy but don't fret, there are plenty of eateries nearby to grab a bite.
- Former Farina space in the Mission is becoming.....a ritzy gay social club? Ugh, me thinks.
- Don't mess with a Sacramento soul food restaurant. So Gordon Ramsey learned.
- The shuttered AQ is becoming something called Birdsong and here's a look at the interior. Another overly large food space with wood and metal, great.
- 7x7 shows you how to spend (and spend and spend) a holiday weekend in Tahoe.
- Drink through the holidays with some wine from local purveyors. Now they are talking!
- Barvale seems to be the hottest new opening right now. It's on Divis in the former La Urbana place and is serving up cocktails and tapas. Super! Expensive drinks and pricey small plates, can't wait.
- Still haven't done your Xmas shopping? Don't worry you are not alone! There are still fun holiday markets to check out from SFMade, Undiscovered SF and a rotating array of things at Brit + Co.
- Finally, just so you don't get caught out by showing up to that restaurant and it no longer being there, here is an updating list of what has closed. Settle in, it's a long one.