YOUR WEEKLY DIGESTION OF FOOD NEWS TO CONSUME....AND ICING WITH CAKE
What better way to celebrate the holidays than with some cake! Okay sure, I personally don't need a reason to eat cake, but it sounds better than gluttony. I stumbled across this beauty at Susie Cakes in the Marina. Yeah, I'm not sure why we were there either, I think we were just lost. But I'll take any chance to go into a bakery. I spotted this apple caramel spice cake with cream cheese frosting right away and said yes, yes, yes to a slice. It runs $6.25 a slice and they definitely give you a heft slab for that price. Kudos for having more than enough of that lovely cream cheese icing to satiate even me. The cake was very moist and I could taste the cinnamon, nutmeg and probably allspice? in each bite of just the cake itself. I will say the apple and caramel bits were a little lost on me but I was mostly okay with that as it was still a tasty cake. The icing may have been a little on the sweet side for many folks, but for me it balanced all right with the cake which wasn't overly sweet. It might have been interesting had I been able to taste maybe some small bits of apple in there, thus I would say they need to pump that up a bit more. The caramel sounds nice in a description but isn't necessarily needed. Still a tasty after meal treat, or if you are like me, an in place of meal treat. Because it's the holidays! See, still sounds better than gluttony.
- The New York Times spends 36 Hours in Oakland. Did they really last that long?
- SF Eater takes a look at what you'll be eating and drinking at the Alamo Drafthouse Theater opening soon in the Mission.
- Because nothing says the holidays like endless drinking here's where to get your bottomless mimosa on.
- This place is now open and serving espresso and bone broth? Ugh..you know how I feel about that.
- Where to get an egg nog cocktail in town because 'tis the season.
- This place is now open for all you health conscious people and those that aren't.
- Christmas cookies!!
- San Francisco's hottest Hong Kong food truck?
- Michael Mina's doing a Super Bowl restaurant. The cashing in begins!
- Don't fret folks, Elbo Room will be around another two years.
- The Yard's getting a soccer field too? Could bring the hungry masses in the off-season.
- Look! A new sport opening in the Mission! It's a hofbrau meets Southern-ish food?
- Flipper's is getting new owners! Oh No! Hopefully they won't change the menu too much.